FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Waterville, Maine Schools Presentation

The Central Maine School District hired me to come speak to faculty (and some parents) from the various schools in their district about students staying safer online. I drove two hours to Waterville, Maine to give the presentation on October 6th - a two hour presentation, so seven hours total (one was setup).

About 60 people attended and three were school resource officers, which was great! I got a lot of great questions and feedback and I am hoping some of the schools will book me to speak to students and parents at their schools.

I did my usual of my alter ego asking students to be friends on Facebook, then showed my results to the attendees:

70 were asked to be a friend of my alter ego
67 approved my alter ego as a friend
Only 5 asked who I was but they still approved me
30 were boys; 37 girls
40% listed their cell phone number in their profile - 55% of those were girls
1 girl also listed her home phone
65% listed their AIM screen name
95% listed an email address (sometimes two)
3 boys and 2 girls listed their home address
5 boys and 2 girls listed where they work
2 boys and 3 girls listed their Myspace URL

Note: I never respond to messages sent to my alter ego. I just make note of who emails me and if they ask who I am, then if they still approve me. There is never any interaction w/ my alter ego's friends.

Then I showed the photos I found: One of two girls holding up glasses of what looked like beer; two photos of girls holding up their breasts (yes, they were dressed, but the shots were provocative), one of a group of young boys and girls dancing in their underwear and a screen shot of some of the quizzes these under 18 kids do - my fave was "Which drunken bitches are you?"

Then, of the students who posted their home address, I showed how easy it was to get a map to their house and other info.

Needless to say, my "Internet Scared Straight" presentation worked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home