News! Canton Public Library, More

Well, I can't tell you the exact nature of the great news until a contract is signed, but it's big! I am so excited and can't wait to tell everyone what it is. The contract should be signed next week (crossing my fingers).

I did a Sisters In Crime "We're not making this up!" panel at the Canton Public Library in Massachusetts on Wednesday night. I'm a member of SinC and did one panel previously and enjoyed it immensely.

This time, it was with one of my favorite mystery authors (and now a friend), Kate Flora. Her Thea Kozak mystery series is a must for anyone who likes good thrillers. She's in the same realm as J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts) and Kathy Reichs (the TV series "Bones" is based on her books). The other author, Paul E. Doyle, was on the other panel I'd done. I love the photo on his web site. He's not quite as muscular in person, but is as good looking.

It took me two hours to get to the library, due to the Boston area traffic. I hate driving through Boston, especially during drive time. The panel kicked off at 7:30 pm, so I made it by 7 pm. I brought Bandit and Guin with me in the car because I knew it was going to be a long night. Paul was already there and walked in with me. I grabbed some water for the dogs and went back out and there was Kate! I haven't seen her since Chris died, but we'd talked over the phone and emailed each other. She looked great and we hugged.

The room filled up pretty well. I'd estimate about 20 people showed up. Paul tends to talk too long and Kate and I giggled and teased him and said we weren't going to do any more panels with him. I was surprised that I got the most questions. Which is good, I guess, even though I only sold three books. I don't think Kate and Paul sold many books, either.

One older man, in his 70s, was adamant that a "PC technician I know says that every time you go on the Internet, *they're* in your computer." I was like "they who?" He said, "You know, *them.*" Uh huh. I gently explained that as long as you have antivirus and firewalls in place and keep them updated. . .he was not having it. THEY are always in your computer.

Geez.

I swear, I always get one nutcase at a book signing. This was mine for the night.

So hey, George, you in my computer right now? How's it hanging?

Ha ha ha.

The drive home was faster by a half hour and I swung through Wendy's for a very late dinner. I got chicken nuggets for me and a cheeseburger for the dogs. They were happy. They love it when I give them cheeseburgers.

Went home, ate, watched TV, then crashed.

Got up in the morning to check my email and there was a message with the big news. I almost fainted. I've been working on this for almost a year. The guy wrote, "I guess persistence pays off. . ."

Hooray!

I also got an email from my agent. He wants an outline for a new book. I'm not thrilled with it, but if it sells, I'll write it and do a good job. Money is money and I'm not getting rich on Net Crimes.

I had a friend talk with me over the phone when I was going to Philly and he said I'd make a lot if I could sell a lot of books there. I asked him if he really knew how much authors make. He thought I got at least half of the cover price. After I stopped laughing hysterically, I explained that unless you're a Stephen King or Clive Cussler, you make diddly. After my publisher takes their cut, pays the editor, indexer, proofreader, cover artist, layout person, etc, I make a whopping $1.27 or so for each book sold. Seriously. I have to pay my publisher $14.97 plus shipping for each book I buy from him, so when I resell them at $20 I make a little bit more.

That's why I do the speaking engagements. Those are my "bread and butter."

So support an author and buy my book!

On another note, more of Chris' music equipment sold, so his friend, Bill, is bringing a check for me today. Little by little, it's getting better.

I went out with Debbie (hi Debbie!) for appetizers and drinks at The Lobster Cove on Long Sands Beach. My neighbors are co-owners of the restaurant. V2 couldn't come, she was working. Which is good. She had a slow time and now is crazy busy - I am happy for her! Debbie and I chatted. She's working a wedding today (she works for a banquet center), her husband is buying a new (used) fishing boat in Newfoundland, and her life is busy. Someone she know named George came in with a woman and we ended up talking with them for a while. I chatted with the woman, Andrea, for a while and I think I may have found a new advocate for WHOA!

Debbie brought me home at 8:30 and my sister called and we talked for a long time. I always laugh when I talk with her. Crashed hard and had to get up early because my French doors are coming in this morning. Rob should be here any minute. I am so excited! He brought over the parts for the drop ceiling yesterday and hopes to get that installed, as well as the doors. Then it's just the floor and ceramic tiles and a little more painting and it'll be time to move in. Hooray!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Troubling web site - Datingpsychos.com

Our Marlboro Ranch/Crazy Mountain Ranch Adventure - June 28-July 1, 2013

Beware of Craigslist Text Scams