Washer hell cont'd

UPDATE: 07/12/06

DO NOT BUY THE HE4 DRYER FROM SEARS. WE'VE HAD OURS FOR JUST OVER SIX MONTHS AND IT DIED ON US TWO WEEKS AGO. PLEASE SEE MY JULY 10, 2006 POST ABOUT THIS. THE FRONT DISPLAY PANEL STOPPED WORKING AND THE SEARS REPAIRMAN SAID THERE ARE MANY OF THE HE4 DRYERS WHERE THIS IS HAPPENING

---------------------------------------

I haven't posted partly because of the holidays and partly because my hubby decided to upgrade my desktop computer and had some problems with the hard drive installation. So, I was on my laptop for a while, then had to reinstall Windows and all of my software on the new desktop (which is extremely fast and much better than my old one).

The saga of the washer continues. I decided to try what the saleslady had advised: Turn off the spin cycle and let the water drain out. It was either that or take my laundry to a laundromat, since Sears couldn't swap washers for a week. So, on Christmas Eve afternoon, I put a small load in the washer. I watched as the cycle progressed and it appeared the "no spin" was working. I went upstairs to help Chris get ready for dinner. His parents were coming over at 5 pm. At 4:30, I went downstairs and shrieked. Water was spouting out of the drain pipe. It was worse than it had been before. There was almost an inch of water on the floor.

I ran to the washer, pushed the pause/cancel button twice like it recommended on that darned DVD, but it wouldn't shut off. I got a bucket to try to catch the water. I pushed the pause/cancel button frantically and it finally stopped.

Chris came halfway down the stairs, then ran down to help set up the wet/dry vac. I began vaccuuming up the water, but the wet/dry vac was acting wonky now. It would suck up a lot of the water, then start spitting it out again.

Oy!

I finally got the mop and began mopping the floor, swearing the whole time. I heard Chris' parents come in upstairs and heard Chris explaining where I was.

I kept mopping, emptying the bucket, mopping. . .

Chris was finishing cooking dinner, so he couldn't help.

I finally finished and heard the door open and Chris called down to see if I was okay. I told him I was done and to make me a scotch and water. I needed it.

I forgot to mention that Sears Delivery told us we had to pay a 15% restocking fee. Yeah, right. Over my dead body. It wasn't our fault the salesperson wasn't told that a septic system and dry wells shouldn't use the high efficiency washers. When Chris called the day the overflow first happened, the woman on the other end told him she'd bought the same washer as us and had the same exact problem - and she had a septic system. Hmph.

On Tuesday, I had to return some things from Christmas to Sears. I stopped by the washer/dryer section and saw the saleslady who'd advised me to turn the spin cycle off and told her what happened. Then I told her about the restocking fee. She told me she'd make sure it didn't get charged to us. Good!

The next day the new washer was to be delivered between 230-430 pm. Previously, the deliveries all happened in the first hour promised. At 345, Sears called and said they were running about an hour late, but were trying to catch up. Fine by me. 5:30 came and went. No delivery truck. At 5:45, I called Sears Delivery.

She called the truck and came back to tell me they should be there by 6:10. I asked if they could deliver on Friday, since we wanted to start cooking dinner. She said they didn't have deliveries scheduled in our area until the next week. Okay, so we'll wait until 6:10. Well, you guessed it, 6:10 came and went. I waited until 6:45 this time and called the number. No one was there - just an answering machine. I called the 800 Sears number and the guy who answered got my info and began to say, "Your delivery is scheduled for this afternoon between 230 and. . .oh. They aren't there yet?"

No duh, Sherlock.

He put me on hold, came back and said the delivery truck should be here "any minute now." I told him if they weren't, I would be calling back.

Finally, the truck showed up at 7:30 pm. Three hours late; five if you count from the first promised time of 230 pm.

The two guys got the new washer ready to bring in. One of them came into the basement to unhook the HE washer. He also told us we never should have been sold the washer because of our septic system. That was *three* people now who told us this.

The new washer was installed; the guy ran it through a cycle. No problems.

Hooray!

I got a call the next day from Joyce, the saleslady who sold us the washer/dryer. She was upset that she'd never been told by anyone to warn people with septic systems and/or dry wells about not using HE machines. She promised the restocking fee wouldn't be charged to us, as it was not only not our fault, but that it was not a special order (which is usually when a restocking fee is charged).

I got a receipt in the mail on Friday from Sears with credit for the return of the HE washer. Then there was a $195 fee that had been charged as Misc. I'm calling Joyce at Sears tomorrow to let her know that I haven't received credit for the $195 I was charged.

I am not a happy camper. I am very disappointed, as we bought all our kitchen appliances from Sears and never had a problem before this.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was beginning to wonder what had happened with your washer/dryer mess. Was thinking I had been left in washer/dryer hell! Good luck with the $195. I've gone vicious circles with Sears in the past. BTW, while on refunds, finally got AOL to refund my advance payment. Only took 3 months, 5 phone calls, and 2 supervisors. Only problem is they only reimbursed three quarters of what I'm owed.

Popular posts from this blog

Troubling web site - Datingpsychos.com

Our Marlboro Ranch/Crazy Mountain Ranch Adventure - June 28-July 1, 2013

Beware of Craigslist Text Scams